Fire Alarm Malfunction Leads to Early Dismissal in Oblong

(Oblong) – A malfunctioning fire alarm led to some tense moments and early dismissal at the Oblong Unit 4 Schools this morning. According to Superintendent Jeff Patchett the students were released from school early today out of an abundance of caution.

Patchett says that they were alerted to a code on the fire system at the grade school this morning and after troubleshooting the system in house, technicians from Indianapolis were called. As a result of the non functioning alarm system students were dismissed at 11am. The students from the High School were dismissed in an effort to assist parents with the early dismissal of the Grade School students. The students were never in any danger and local emergency responders were on the scene to ensure safety.